xingyi Class Schedule and Fees
Please note that class times, prices, and instructors are subject to change without notice, depending on the number of students that have registered. For the latest, please check back with our website or contact us by phone.
What is Xingyi?
Xingyi is an internal Wushu style known for its dynamic and explosive movements. Xing or shape, is derived from imitating the fighting movements of 12 different animals. Yi or mind, is generated internally from the heart. Therefore, Xingyi is an internal style which imitates the shapes of twelve animals and their inner characteristics when they fight. Xing Yi's theory and techniques are aggressive, yet the practitioner avoids emotional excitement. Xing Yi manifests great power, but it is a very refined power, and while the strategy is offensive, it is not disordered. Continued training in Xing Yi can make you spiritually brave, your spirit can be raised to a very powerful stage, yet you will remain calm, peaceful, and in control.
This style consists of five fundamental movements: Pi(Split), Zuan(Drill), Beng(Expand), Pao(Cannon), Heng(Sideways shear). The five movements are matched up with Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth elements from the Five Element Theory. It is characterized by linear movements and uses offense as a way of defense. Our school offers a system of Xingyi including traditional fist and weapon routines and applications such as Five Phases, Twelve Shapes, Miscellaneous Strike Sequence, Linking Sequence, Secure Body Strike matching set, etc.
Why learn Xing Yi? Who should take this class?
- It is highly advised that students should have some Wushu basic training before taking up Xing Yi classes.
- For people who wish to improve their focus, power, stamina, coordination, strength, balance, fitness level, endurance, and confidence.
- The basic forms are simple and easy to learn. There are hundreds of variations derived from the basic movements and their applications are countless.
- The fundamental theory and training principles are easy to understand.
- From a health point of view, the movements of Xing Yi are designed for strengthening the five important Yin organs: heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, and spleen.
- Xing Yi's theory and techniques are aggressive, yet the practitioner avoids emotional excitement. Xing Yi manifests great power, but it is a very refined power and while the strategy is offensive it is not disordered. Continued training in Xing Yi can make you spiritually brave; your spirit can be raised to a very powerful level, yet you will remain calm, peaceful, and in control.
Xing Yi Class Structure
Xing Yi classes are taught over several months periods with each period covering specific styles. Students also have the freedom of drop-in classes on a per-class fee basis, though Grandmaster Liang prefers and encourages all students to commit to training on a regular basis for extended periods of time.
Training includes all required skills defined by Shou-Yu Liang Wushu Taiji Qigong Internal Curriculum for Xing Yi certification, as well as traditional, competition, and standard forms and all martial applications.
Each hour long class consists of stretching & warm-up, basic drill training, and finally forms/2 person sparring set training/free sparring training.
View Xing Yi Certification Requirements...
What will I learn?
- Our school offers a system of Xing Yi that includes traditional routines and applications as follows:
- Five Phases (Five Fists) which include Pi, Zhuan, Beng, Pao, Heng which correspond to the Five Phases of Metal, Water, Wood, Fire, and Earth.
- Twelve Shapes (Shi Er Xing) Fists which imitates the shapes and ways of fighting of twelve animals.
- Miscellaneous Strikes Sequence (Zha Shi Chui) which is derived from the essence of the twelve shape sequence which threads the refined techniques into one.
- Linking Sequence (Lian Huan Quan) #1 and #2
- Ten Shapes Linking Sequence (Shi Xing Quan)
- In and Out of the Cave (Chu Dong Ru Dong)
- Secure Body Strike (An Shen Pao) which is a matching set based on the pattern of the Five Phases (Five Fists)
- Five Shape Sword (Wu Xing Jian), Five Shape Saber (Wu Xing Dao), Five Shape Spear (Wu Xing Qiang) and Five Shape Staff (Wu Xing Gun)
- Linking Sword (Lian Huan Jian), Linking Saber (Lian Huan Dao), Linking Spear (Lian Huan Qiang), and Linking Staff (Lian Huan Gun)
- Twelve Shape Sword (Shi Er Xing Jian), Twelve Shape Saber (Shi Er Xing Dao), Twelve Shape Spear (Shi Er Xing Qiang), and Twelve Shape Staff (Shi Er Xing Gun)
- Upon arrival at our school, please see or have someone direct you to an instructor for more information.
- For people who have any serious health issues, always consult with an SYL instructor before participating in class.
- Wear comfortable exercise clothes. Jeans and clothing that restrict movement are definitely not recommended. Wear light and comfortable exercise shoes.
- Always follow the directions of the instructors as closely as possible.